Horse riding or cycling : the best ways to explore Kalpitiya
There are many ways to explore Kalpitiya and its surroundings, especially by horse and bicycle you will discover all the beauty of this remoted place.
A perfect trip for quite and fun holidays.
- Horse safaris to explore rural life
- Long or short rides
- Lagoon, dunes or sunset tours
The horses you will have the chance to ride are Marwari thoroughbred and cross breeds. The Marwari are renowned for their versatility and endurance and were imported from Rajasthan in India. These majestic horses have amazing stamina in all terrains, adapting with ease to gallop on the golden sands of Kalpitiya enabling the rider to experience trotting in the high sand dunes on the beach.
The tours we offer are conducted by The Premadasa Riding School, the only specialist in riding safaris in Sri Lanka since 2001.
Long rides 3-4 hours with Guide Horse
Day or sunset ride :
- Country side and sand dunes : Rs 20,000/rider
- Kudawa to Dutch Bay, Keeramundal Dutch Church : Rs 20,000/rider (min 2 riders)
Short rides – Hold and ride for Novices
- Country side (1 hour) : Rs 4,000/rider
- Along the lagoon (30 mins) : Rs 1000/rider ; (15 mins) : Rs 600/rider
- Children > 12yrs (20 mins) : Rs 500/rider
Note : Prior booking is needed for this activity!
- Explore the village at a leisurely pace
- Enjoy our bicycles in free access
- Cycle among mangroves and fishermen villages
We provide bicycles for free, just grab one and explore the surrounding area. We will provide you with a route map that you can use to venture through the town. See the Dutch Fort, Old Dutch Church, stop by the fishermen who will be mending their nets, see the mangroves among other stopovers while you cycle.
Packed lunch can also be provided at request.
If you want a guide for a longer tour, we can also arrange an excursion. Contact us for more information on the tours and the prices